Scroll through Pinterest or eavesdrop in a coffee shop and you might see or hear something along the lines of, “All I need is a whole lotta of Jesus and a little bit of coffee/tacos/Netflix/sleep.” While it’s usually said in jest, we all have little crutches that we rely on when we feel like we’re survival mode. In this episode, Laura and Emily talk about the potential crutches in motherhood like wine, shopping, or social media. While they may make us feel a little good for a little while, only Christ is the source of our greatest joy for the longest time. So momma, let’s go back to the cross and fix our eyes on the only one able to sustain, encourage, grow, and help us in every situation – Jesus.
As moms, we spend a lot of time thinking about sleep, like, “Will I get to have it?” and “I can’t sleep – I have too much to do!” From tiny baby bellies to late-night toddler questions, we sacrifice our sleep out of love and service to Christ through caring for our families. In this episode, Laura and Emily discuss how the gospel gives hope to the weary, sleepy mom (most of us, right?). In light of God’s promises to us, we no longer worship sleep as an idol or ignore our need for rest. Instead, Christ has freed us from either extreme, offering us true rest and hope in himself. We may be tired, but we can trust him with our needs.
We were created to work and to rest, but sometimes it feels like our to-do list never ends. But we were not created to carry the burdens of “doing it all” or to indulge in copious amounts of “me time.” So, when and how are we supposed to rest amidst the busyness of motherhood? In this episode, Laura and Emily get to the heart of self-care for mommas. While we do need practical things like sleep, food, and a shower, what our hearts most desperately need is the refreshing truth of the gospel. We weren’t made to be limitless, so our limitations are actually a gift that draws us into the rest offered by Christ in every situation.
This episode is for moms who are struggling to understand how their daily self-care routine impacts their ability to serve their family well. Whether you spend one hour or two minutes pulling yourself together, Emily and Laura discuss the challenges and benefits to "getting ready for the day" (whatever that means to you). How can a mom harness the advantages of styled hair and lovely clothes without shifting her focus onto temporal things?
In this episode Emily and Laura discuss a mother’s need to care for herself in order to serve and love her family well. Particularly, they talk about strategies for self-care, ideas for discovering what gets you energized and how staying connected to Christ is the most important thing.
- When "Me-Time" Gets Swallowed Up by Babies - Anna Ilona Mussmann
- 7 Ways to Stop Being a "Mommy Martyr" - Jess Connell
- I'm an Exhausted Mom (a collection of posts) - Jess Connell
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review.These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Email us or find us on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.