Ep. 58 || Having a Child With Special Needs: An Interview with Abigail Dodds
In motherhood, sometimes unexpected and even grief-filled news about your child can change all of your hopes and dreams for the future. When her son Titus was flagged for having a small cerebellum at his 20-week ultrasound, Abigail Dodds and her husband began their God-appointed journey as parents to a child with special needs. In this episode, she shares wisdom, rooted in the truth of the gospel, about everything from facing fears of the future to facing the hard chaotic "I can't do this" moments of the present. Whether you are a mom to your own child with special needs, an Aunt or Grandparent of a child with special needs, or a woman hoping to come alongside a friend as a loving support -- this episode is for you! As you'll hear Abigail share, God's promises in Christ can provide true joy and encouragement in any circumstance.
Articles & Resources:
- Abigail's Blog || Hope & Stay (here you can find lots of her writing on the topic of special needs)
- The Works of God - A blog by John Knight with a wealth of helpful material
- Joni and Friends - Joni Erikson Tada is always inspirational and constantly points to Jesus. Also, she has a tab "Area Ministries" that can help connect you with a church that has a disability ministry.
- God's Good Design in Disability - The audio archives from a Desiring God conference on disability in 2012
- Disability and the Sovereign Goodness of God - Free .pdf download || resources from John Piper
- The Life We Never Expected: Hopeful Reflections on the Challenges of Parenting Children With Special Needs - Andrew & Rachel Wilson (foreword by Russell Moore)
- The Life They Never Expected - Laura Dilly (book review / reflection)
- Mix for Moms in Need of Hope - A collection of youtube songs (curated by Abigail) for grief and processing
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.