When Dad has to work late (again) and mom feels like she's soldiering on with the children, is there a gracious response to give? Although the long days might leave a wife stuck in cycles of comparison with other families and even anger, God hasn't left her without hope and help. In this episode, Emily interviews Laura, who shares a bit of her experience as a mom whose husband works long hours. Whether your own husband just misses the occasional dinner, or travels for months at time, you're not going to want to miss the wisdom she shares! The gospel turns "fairness" on its head, and offers wives a better way forward - where her husband (or his job) isn't the enemy, and all her needs are met in Christ.
Articles & Resources:
- 30 Day Husband Encouragement Challenge - Revive Our Hearts
- 31 Days of Praying For Your Husband - Revive Our Hearts
- Scraps - Jess Connell
- Do Him Good - Jess Connell
- Trusting God To Work Through Your Husband - Revive Our Hearts
- 10 Ways You Might be Disrespecting Your Husband - Kimberly Wagner (many examples that Laura gave on the show regarding lessons she's learned about approaching her husband graciously)
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment With the Wisdom of God - Tim Keller w/Kathy Keller
- 1 Peter: A Living Hope in Christ - Jen Wilkin (a great bible study to help you process identity in Christ and how that impacts your relationship w/your husband and others)
- Verses Laura has memorized / used to remind her of truth in hard moments (ESV):
-- Proverbs 16:24 Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.
-- Proverbs 31: 10-12 An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not harm, all the days of her life.
-- Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.
*Affiliate links used where appropriate. Thanks for supporting this ministry!