Any mom who reads to her children knows that you wouldn't start a storybook right in the middle! If you skipped the first half, your kids would miss important aspects of the plot and the character development. Instead, you would start at the very beginning and view all of the parts as a whole. But for some reason, when it comes to the bible, we often toss that concept aside and go straight for the easier-to-understand New Testament books. In this episode, Emily and Laura make a case for the Old Testament, citing eight reasons why it really matters! Processing the entire bible in light of the cross is critical for mom (and her kiddos) to rightly understand God's epic redemption story.
Articles & Resources:
- Teaching Theology to Children - Nancy Guthrie interviews Marty Machowski on her podcast, Help Me Teach the Bible
- Show Them Jesus - Jack Klumpenhower
- Women of the Word - Jen Wilkin
- A Christian's Pocket Guide to Loving the Old Testament - Alec Motyer
- A Peculiar Glory - John Piper
- From Garden to Glory - Courtney Doctor
- Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament - Nancy Guthrie (this is a whole bible study / book series)
- God's Glory, Illustrated for Kids - Ask Pastor John
- The Gospel Project for Kids - A Video + Curriculum and resources
- Is the Bible Too Violent for Kids? - Trevin Wax
- Children's Bibles & Books:
- More From Risen Motherhood:
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.
*Affiliate links used where appropriate. Thanks for supporting this ministry!