Parenting alongside your husband can sometimes feel overwhelming. We want to be intentional, but it can seem like we have wildly different plans than our spouses! In this episode, Emily and Laura give a nod to Valentine’s Day by diving into a marriage topic: unity with our husbands. Even though we have differences, God has joined us in marriage for his mission in our homes and has equipped us to do it together. Through Christ’s perfect record, we can humbly forgive one another, refocus on our mission, and live in unity with our husbands every day.
Articles, Resources and Related Content:
- Ep. 28: On the Same Team: Getting on the Same Page as Parents - Risen Motherhood
- Ep. 46: Intentional Motherhood: Communicating Your Family’s Mission - Risen Motherhood
- Ep. 68: How Can Mom Support Dad Spiritually?: An Interview with Jerrad Lopes - Risen Motherhood
- Deuteronomy 6
- “When You Want to Change Your Husband” - Jen Wilkin, Nancy Guthrie, & Jackie Hill Perry, The Gospel Coalition
- “How to Stay Focused On Your Family’s Ministry and Giftings” - RM Blog
- “God’s Plan for Marriage and How Culture Has Missed the Mark” - Darin Smith, For the Church
- “The Cascade of Trinitarian Love Fills Our Homes” - Matthew Sims, CBMW.org
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.
*Affiliate links used where appropriate. Thanks for supporting this ministry!
RM APPLY QUESTIONS
We know that God has united us with our spouses and given us a mission, which is really wonderful. Depending on the day, we can feel like the best team on the planet or like the most randomly paired duo ever. Thankfully, we know that the gospel provides hope and refocuses our marriages daily! Instead of needing to reach perfection, we experience the freedom of Christ’s perfect score (when we definitely deserve a failing grade). This is the power of the gospel – ending our striving and freeing us to forgive, repent, and love those around us, so we can experience unity in Christ.
What do you believe is God’s mission for all parents as taught in scripture? In what ways are you working towards this mission in your day-to-day-lives?
Each family is special with unique circumstances, giftings, and people – God designed it that way! What do you believe is your family’s unique mission within the larger calling?
When you feel disunified with your spouse, what is your first reaction normally? Do you examine your own heart? Do you find a time to talk when you are both well-rested, focused, and peaceful?For what particular changes in your heart should you pray? How can your approach honor your husband and God?
When sin affects our marriages – as we know it will – how does the gospel free us to try again? What does it mean for you to receive Christ’s perfect score in life? What does it mean for your spouse to receive it? Does this change the way you view one another?