It’s natural to prefer spending time with moms who share similar parenting values, lifestyle choices, and special interests with us. Conversely, most of us can instantly think of a mom we avoid, because she makes us uncomfortable with her more-extreme views in a gray-area of motherhood. These feelings beg the question, “How should we love and interact with those who do motherhood differently than us, especially when those differences breed difficulties?” In this episode, Emily and Laura bring the gospel to bear on these challenging relationships, remembering that the cross levels all of us. Because of the extravagant grace shown to us, we can now love others who are different, even when it’s hard.
Articles & Resources:
- Loving Difficult People || Stacy Reaoch (Desiring God)
- Organic Food, Essential Oils, and the Gospel of Grace || Stacy Reaoch (Desiring God)
- The Love that is Neither Easy or Natural || Erik Raymond (TGC)
- Mom vs. Mom: The War I Didn't See Coming || Jeanne Harrison (Revive our Hearts)
- Loving Someone in Their Mess || Colleen Chao (Revive our Hearts)
- 10 Common Mistakes in Difficult Relationships || Lina Abujamra (Revive our Hearts)
- The concept Laura quoted on the show about "disordered loves" was from St. Augustine. It's more of a theory that rings throughout his writings so we're unable to find a great quote capturing the idea. But Tim Keller sums up the Augustinian concept well through his quote, “Disordered love leads always to misery and breakdown. The only way to ‘reorder’ our loves is to love God supremely.” - Tim Keller
More From Risen Motherhood:
- Free to be the Mother God Created You to Be: Why Comparison Doesn't Work || RM Ep. 18
- Friendship and Motherhood || RM Ep. 38
- Breastfeeding & Bottle Feeding: How the Gospel Changes the Conversation || RM Ep. 13
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.
*Affiliate links used where appropriate. Thanks for supporting this ministry!