One of the most exciting things we can teach our children is that Jesus came to earth as a tiny baby and that he’s coming back as the King. This past-and-future perspective is at the heart of the Advent season as we celebrate what has happened and wait expectantly for what is to come. On this episode, Emily and Laura explain the meaning of advent, sharing ways to celebrate, and encourage moms to find freedom in the Christmas season. Instead of running into the holidays with added pressure of one more thing, we can look to Christ and celebrate the gospel story in our homes from an overflow of joy.
- Why We Celebrate Advent - Timothy Paul Jones, TGC
- Celebrating Advent: Looking Back and Looking Forward - Melissa Kruger, TGC
- Christmas is a Mystery - Michael Douglas, TGC
- Jesse Tree Devotions - RCA
- Advent Begins Today - David Mathis, Desiring God
- Advent is for Adoring Jesus - Desiring God
- Good News of Great Joy - John Piper, Desiring God
- Three Wise Men Walk Into A Barn - Knowing Faith podcast
- RM|Resources for Advent (Check out all our favorite items that we use for Advent - many that we mention on the show!)
- Jesus Storybook Bible Advent Calendar Printable + Reading Plan - FaithGateway (This is the one the RM Team has used in years past, but for some reason, this one doesn't "open for download" until 11/22/18 - but we assume they mean 2017 ...? You can get an alternate one here, and the direct link to the pdf is here. )
- SRT Advent 2017 - She Reads Truth
- Our Deliverer Advent Devotional - Gentle Leading
- Well Watered Women Journals
- Crew & Co. Advent Materials
- Behold the Lamb of God - Russ Ramsey
- Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room: Daily Family Devotions for Advent - Nancy Guthrie
- Jesse Tree Ornaments - Kathryn Marcellino
- Come, Let Us Adore Him: A Daily Advent Devotional - Paul David Tripp
- The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming - Sally Clarkson
More From Risen Motherhood:
- Ep: 42 | Making Christmas Traditions Matter
- Ep. 76 | Nourishing and Training Up Your Child at the Table
- "Because We Could Not Stop for Death: Miscarriage and the Believer" - Lore Ferguson Wilbert, Risen Motherhood Blog (The blog post Emily mentioned on the show.)
- "Five Ways To Engage Your Young Children In Advent" - Risen Motherhood Blog
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.
*Affiliate links used where appropriate. Thanks for supporting this ministry!
RM|APPLY: Questions for personal reflection or conversation with others, to dig deep and allow the transforming work of the gospel to impact every part of your motherhood
God’s plan for his creation was set before the beginning of time. Everything was planned for our good and his glory, from the garden to the cross to the future glory of Christ as King (Eph. 1:4-10)! The season of Advent is a chance to spend four weeks focusing on God’s faithfulness to us through Christ as a baby and the future faithfulness of Christ returning as our King. Our hope is that by focusing our hearts on these truths, we will remind ourselves and our kiddos that our eternal joy is found in Jesus alone.
In the Old Testament, we find God’s people waiting and longing for Jesus to come to earth for the first time. They were frustrated, wounded, displaced, lacking, and hopeful. We are longing for Jesus to come back, too. How can you relate to our brothers and sisters in the Old Testament? In what ways are you longing for Jesus?
Moms are part of the redemption story in 2017, even in our place in-between Jesus as a baby and Jesus as the coming King. As we enter Advent, we look back to God’s faithfulness to celebrate his future faithfulness. What are some examples of God’s faithfulness to your family?
Advent is a yearly reminder to show our kids how we are waiting for Christ to come back to rescue us and how Jesus is our ultimate hope in life. There are a million activities for Advent, but the gospel’s focus is always our hearts. Since you know your family’s rhythm best, what are some natural ways to incorporate Advent traditions into your life that will bring joy and rest?
God is not just the God of plans and order, he is also the God of joy, creativity, and enjoyment. When he created the garden of Eden, everything was beautiful and delightful to Adam and Eve. It was perfect! Knowing that God delights to give his children good gifts, how can you make your Advent activities a joy to your children and their specific personalities and interests?
God uses every little moment of motherhood, whether or not your Advent activity is perfectly executed. What are your expectations for your Advent celebrations? How does the gospel infuse grace for each member of your family in these celebrations?